Backpacking is a rather unique phrase because of the meaning that it really holds. People can be divided because some people view backpacking as a quick trip away from their home, whereas other people would view it as a trek across countries. One thing that all backpackers have in common however, is the fact that they need all of their equipment to be durable enough to survive a trek across the backcountry with them.
Regardless of where you are heading, nothing can beat the chill of the wilderness better than a warm drink or a hot meal. That is where the true importance of a good backpacking stove can be recognized. But, when it comes to backpacking, you need to make sure the stove that you are carrying is lightweight and efficient. Otherwise, carrying your stove would quickly become a chore that you no longer wish to do. You also need to make sure that it is actually capable of performing all of the tasks that you need it to.
Today, we are going to be discussing how to find the best backpacking stove because there are currently hundreds of different stoves available on the market that you need to sift through. The sheer number of them can make it really difficult for you to tell the difference between a great stove and a terrible one, but after reading this review, you will definitely be able to.
Features that the best backpacking stoves should have
One of the reasons that choosing the right backpacking stove can be really challenging is because there are so many different options out there that all claim to be better than the one sitting next to them. Before you go any further, you need to work out what you need your backpacking stove to be capable of doing. Do you need it to stay lit in really windy conditions? Do you need it to be able to boil water quickly? Your answers to these questions will show you the characteristics that you need to look for.
Here are some of the most important features and characteristics that you need to look for:
- The best stoves for backpacking will always be relatively lightweight when they are compared to standard camping stoves and heavier alternatives. This is because backpackers are known to spend a lot of their time on their feet so they simply cannot afford to be carrying around anything that is too heavy
- You need to keep a close eye out for and check the durability of any product that you notice. Remember that your pack will probably get thrown around a little bit while you are on your adventures, and the last thing that you would want would be a broken backpacking stove and cold meals. You need to make sure that you choose one that is really reliable
- How many people are going to be using the same stove to prepare their own food and drinks? This is a question that you are going to need to really take into consideration when you come to choose your stove, especially if you are travelling as part of a larger group. If you choose one that is way too small, then everyone will have to spend more time using it. This will really slow down cooking time and result in you all having to use more fuel
- Lastly, you need to consider what is actually going to be used to fuel the stove and how effective the stove is at keeping fuel usage to an absolute minimum. Some stoves are a lot more proficient in this way than others. If your stove is one that uses a lot of fuel, then you will have to compensate for that by carrying more around with you.
The Best Backpacking Stove Reviews
We took the liberty of reviewing some of the best backpacking stoves that are currently available on the market for you. Hopefully these reviews will help you pick out the ideal product for you, or learn to distinguish between the good and the bad.
Solo Stove Lite – Compact Wood Burning Backpacking Stove
The Solo Stove Lite is already known to be one of the best backpacking stoves that is currently available on the market, having been recommended throughout a number of highly regarded platforms. It is also a favorite of survivalists across the world.
It comes with a patented design that is guaranteed to result in less smoke, something that is usually a real problem when you are using a wood burning stove out in the wilderness; they usually produce enough smoke to make people think that a forest fire might have started. This also means that you no longer have to spend all of your money on liquid fuel.
- Uses a unique airflow structure in order to be as efficient as possible
- Has had a double wall built into the design, this is a really important part of the stove because of the way that it allows air to flow
- Can be fueled using wood and other items that can be found among nature
- The patented design that this stove has means that you no longer have to worry about creating too much smoke while you are out in the backcountry. Smoke is something that most people worry about seeing, especially if they are in an area that is prone to forest fires
- The Solo Stove Lite is a stove that you only really ever have to pay for once. Most stoves come with the trick of ongoing costs because you then have to pay for the fuel that they use. But, this one runs on a free fuel source that can be slowly gathered from the nature that surrounds you
- It has the ability to boil a large amount of water in less than ten minutes.
- This particular stove weighs only nine ounces. This means that you could easily carry it around in your pack without having to constantly worry about the extra weight that comes with carrying it
- It fits perfectly inside of the Solo Stove Pot 900.
This stove is quite small when compared to other models so it might not be the right option for large groups of people.
Emberlit Fireant Backpacking Stove
The Emberlit Fireant Backpacking Stove is quite possibly one of the best stoves on this particular list for backpackers because it is completely collapsible. This can make it really easy for you to take with you when you are backpacking because it can be easily placed into a single pocket.
It is also quite possibly one of the most simplistic stoves on our list because it is quite literally a fire in a little box. It has not been designed to be overcomplicated, but it does lack a few important features because of this. Luckily, it is actually much more efficient than lighting a fire in an actual box would be.
- A small and compact design that means that it is easy to store away
- Made of durable titanium
- Is primarily a wood burning stove, but it can be integrated with other products in order to run off of different fuel sources
- The Emberlit Backpacking Stove is a stove that is fueled using wood. Wood is one of the best fuel sources that you can use because it can be gathered directly from the world around you. All it actually takes to power this stove is two long twigs
- The fact that this stove runs on wood is a really important feature because it allows you to cut back on the costs that would otherwise come with buying fuel
- On the other hand, if you do not want to use wood as a primary fuel source, then you can integrate the Emberlit Fireant Backpacking Stove with either a Trangia or an Esbit spirit burner so that you can use solid fuels
- It is made out of pure titanium, a material that is known to be durable and easy to clean. This also adds to the lightweight nature of the product
- Most lightweight stoves have a habit of falling over because of how narrow they are, but this stove is actually relatively sturdy once it has been set up. As long as you do not kick it, that is
- This stove could really have been manufactured better if additional features had been added during the design process. Simply adding hinges to the design would have resulted in it taking a lot less time to construct and deconstruct the stove
- This stove is too small for large groups to use, but it would be suitable for 1-2 people
- Wood burning stoves are known to create a lot of smoke. Due to this, you should always make sure that you check the local fire restrictions for the area that you are travelling through
Bisgear 16 Pcs Camping Cookware and Stove Set
Bisgear are known to produce a lot of wonderful products that have been made to be used while you are adventuring in the great outdoors. This particular set is no exception to that general rule because of all of the different pieces that it contains.
It contains a total of sixteen separate pieces that are all really important if you are planning on cooking while you are backpacking. These pieces can be separated and used individually, or you can use them together as a complete cookware set.
- Made of materials that have been pre-approved by the FDA
- Includes everything that 1-2 people might need to cook with while backpacking
- The mini stove that comes with the set features a piezo ignition
- Most of the items in this set are really lightweight in nature
- When we say that this set includes everything that you could possibly need, we mean that. It includes a folding stainless steel spork/spoon for cooking and eating with, a standard spoon and fork, a knife, a mini stove with a piezo ignition, an aluminum non-stick pot, a non-stick frying pan, a pan cover, 2 BPA free bowls, a BPA-free soup spoon, a rice ladle, a loofah sponge, a carabiner and a nylon bag.
- The aluminum pieces of equipment have all been approved for use by the FDA. They are completely safe to be used with food and non-toxic. They are also water-resistant and known to conduct heat quickly to ensure that your food cooks fast. A good quality that you should always look for if you are traveling somewhere cold
- All of this equipment can be carried in the nylon bag that comes as part of the set, making it a much easier option than carrying lots of separate pieces
- All of the equipment is relatively lightweight, making it perfect for carrying around with you when you go backpacking
- The mini stove features a piezo ignition. This means that it is much easier to light than a standard stove
You have to avoid putting any of the aluminum items in a dishwasher; the non-stick coating will come off if you do. Instead, you need to simply clean the items after use, give them a wipe and make sure that you keep them clean when you are not using them.
Etekcity Ultralight Portable Backpacking Stove
Etekcity is a brand that is known for producing everything from great home improvement products to high-quality outdoor products. They have managed to create a backpacking stove that is rather unique because it is completely collapsible. This makes it really easy to transport while backpacking.
Another feature that can be clearly seen also directly has an impact on backpackers. This particular backpacking stove can be used with any type of 7/16 thread single butane or butane-propane mixed fuel canister, meaning that you no longer have to worry about the risk of not being able to find fuel in other countries.
- This particular backpacking stove is made out of materials that are both lightweight and durable
- It has a really compact design that means it can be stored in a number of different ways
- It is compatible with either 7/16 thread single butane or butane-propane mixed fuel canisters
- This stove has an additional feature of a valve that can be used to adjust the flame
- It features a piezo ignition system, meaning that it can be easily and quickly lit
- The Etekcity Ultralight Portable Backpacking Stove is an outdoor stove that most people love to use. It features a versatile design that enables it to fold in on itself so that it can easily be stored away in small place
- The Piezo Ignition system adds to that versatility because it means that the stove can still be easily lit in the worst of conditions, even when it is really windy
- This stove adheres to the general rule of ‘Leave No Trace’ that exists because of the US Forest Service and the National Park Service. It burns clean and leaves no debris or soot behind
- One of the best things about this stove is the valve that can be used to adjust the flame. Most valves like this one are usually only seen on heavier products. It can allow you to reach a fast maximum heat output and bring it right down to a simmer when you are ready to
- The entire stove can be quickly placed into the carrying case that comes with it so that you can toss it into your pack without having to worry about it
It is always worth noting that smaller stoves that weigh less only have a minimum amount of stability because of their narrow size and design. They can be easily knocked over so you do have to be very careful with them.
OUTAD Windproof Foldable Camping Stove
OUTAD is known to be a recognizable brand when it comes to creating products that are perfect for backpackers. Most of the products that they offer are lightweight and portable, making them ideal. Their foldable camping stove is no exception to that rule and it even comes with a carrying case.
One of the most important things about this camping stove is the base that it sits on. Most camping stoves are rather unsteady and they can easily be knocked over, but this one features a wind deflector to stop the wind from blowing it over and the legs cover quite a wide area. This anchors the camping stove to the ground.
- A lightweight construction that could easily be carried across a number of different regions and through a number of different environments
- A high level of stability
- The stove itself is made out of a water-resistant type of stainless steel. This is really important if you are venturing out and you know that the weather could change quickly
- A high-density gas line and a 7.16 inch Lindal valve tank connection.
- Most camping stoves that have been designed for backpacking are relatively lightweight, but they have a severe lack of stability. This one has been designed to conquer that problem because it features a 360° wind deflector. It can withstand approximately 45 MPH wind speeds
- The wind deflector can also enhance the heating efficiency that the camping stove can offer you because it means that the heat level will not be constantly fluctuating
- This particular model is made out of a lightweight stainless steel and aluminum alloy. Due to this, it weighs in at just under 10 pounds. It also comes with a carrying case that can make it much easier to move around
- The water-resistant stainless steel will be highly unlikely to rust or break so you could take this model out during bad weather
This stove is slightly heavier than other stoves that are commonly available
The best backpacking stove for wilderness adventures should be reliable, durable and most importantly, able to do the job that you need it to do.
When you go to purchase your own backpacking stove, make sure that you take your own needs and requirements into consideration. Consider the weight of the stove, what it is capable of and how many people it could feed at one time, as well as anything else that you think might be important.
Based on the above reviews, the Solo Stove Lite – Compact Wood Burning Backpacking Stove is by far the best option for most people. It is highly efficient, lightweight, durable and it runs off of a fuel source that can generally be found all around you when you are backpacking. Why should you have to waste your money on expensive fuel when you can just gather a few sticks?