Outdoor camping is an experience that all families should have at least once per generation. Not only does it bring them closer, but it can also serve as a conduit for members to share recipes that they can cook using the best camping grill stove.
Not to be mistaken for a regular camping stove, camping grills have a flatbed, and they are not exclusive to fuels in canisters and such. Most camping grills often use wood chips and charcoal as the source of heat, turning your camp cook-out into a barbeque party in no time.
Three of the Best Camping Grill Stoves
Camping grill stoves come in different shapes and sizes; you can mistake one for a regular home grill and vice versa. Some grills are straightforward in their function while a few have adapted a multi-purpose role and can be used for more than just grilling. Here are a few examples of the best camping grill stoves on the market.
Magicook Electric Reversible Grill Griddle
Never burn food on the grill again with the Magicook Electric Grill. You can select from five different temperature settings and scrape food off quickly from its non-stick surface. Here are some of its other features:
- Two-Face Grill – the plate of the Magicook has two faces: one for grilling meat and fish and another for frying eggs, making pancakes and even stir-frying vegetables!
- Electric – the Magicook grill runs on electricity which does not produce any harmful smoke and does not add to the risk of wildfire when cooking outside.
- Smokeless – the Magicook grill is perfect for both indoor and outdoor cooking as it does not produce any smoke while cooking. It will keep your camp neighbors happy while still giving your food that characteristic smoky flavor that grills leave on food items.
- Adjustable Thermostat – this electric grill comes with five different temperature settings that you can adjust by twisting the knob on the side. This lets you cook food at the right temperature without having to worry about overcooking and accidental burning.
- Non-Stick Surface – the grills and the pan on the other side are both made with a lead-free, cast iron surface which makes grilling and cooking breakfast a breeze as you don’t have to scrape things off before turning them.
- Dishwasher-Safe – the drip pan and grills are both dishwasher-safe, which makes washing easy and quick.
- This grill has a large cooking surface, and that’s on just on one face. It also makes cooking faster as you can prepare a lot at the same time. Heat is evenly distributed, so you don’t have to worry about undercooking the “outliers.”
- Assembling the Magicook straight from the box takes less than five minutes, and no special tool is required.
- The grease drain is on one-side only which makes cleaning easy and being dishwasher-safe makes everything else much faster to clean.
- The thermostat controls are numbered from one to five which can complicate cooking if you are looking for a specific temperature.
Texsport Heavy Duty Barbecue Swivel Grill
Texsport Heavy Duty grill is made of high-quality steel, and the height can be adjusted for better temperature control. This portable swivel grill is ideal for outdoor cooking over an open fire. Here are some of its features:
- Adjustable Height – the Texsport grill has an adjustable height of up to 17 inches from the base. This lets you have the optimal heat temperature for cooking.
- Large Grilling Surface – the grilling surface of the Texsport swivel grill measures at 24 inches by 16 inches.
- Rotates 360 Degrees – the grilling surface of this swivel grill can rotate 360 degrees, so you don’t have to expose yourself over the roaring fire. Just swivel it around and flip and then swivel it back.
- Vertical Support Stake – the grill comes with a support stake that measures 28 inches, which is enough of a height to provide support at the base while allowing the grilling surface to move up or down.
- The swivel feature is perfect for getting food off the fire and placing new ones in as it lessens the risk of burning, and it also ensures that food is not overcooked.
- The tensile strength of the support stake can be improved as it can appear to bend, especially if continually exposed to a roaring fire for a long period.
- The overall height of the grill puts it a bit too close to the fire, raising the risk of overcooking. It is recommended that enough clearance is ensured between the swiveling grill and the flames.
- Check the grilling grates as they might need extra welds here and there as it tends to sag while cooking.
Blackstone Dash Portable Grill for Outdoor Cooking
The Blackstone Dash Portable Grill has dual cooking surfaces that let you griddle and grill without using separate stoves. Its large cooking surface and its ability to fold into its carrying case make it the perfect outdoor cooking companion. Here are some of its other features.
- Large Cooking Surface – the Blackstone portable grill has a large cooking surface that measures 240 square inches on one side. It is large enough to cook for the entire family all at once.
- Two-Faced Cooking – the Blackstone Dash has a rotating cooking surface: one that grills your meats and fish and another that serves as a griddle for your pancakes, eggs, and hash.
- Folds and Sets-up in Seconds – this portable stove is true to its name as it can fold down into its carrying case within seconds. It’s front and telescopic legs also fold down easily and lets you set it up quickly.
- Fast Cooking – this stove comes with a 7000 BTU Burner that ensures fast cooking temperatures from gas canisters. It also comes with a hood that lets you enclose your meat, ensuring that it is cooked from all sides at once.
- Grease Management System – both sides of this grill comes with a grease management system that ensures grease is swept away along the mini-channels, and it also allows for faster cleaning.
- The Blackstone Dash grill is very versatile with its rotating cooking surface and its attached hood. It can turn from griddle to grill to oven in a matter of seconds.
- This grill folds down into its own carrying case which makes it a great outdoor companion.
- The Blackstone grill looks bulky, but it is very light and easy to carry.
- The large cooking surface takes time to heat evenly, but once the fire gets going, food is cooked in no time without any risk of overcooking.
The three camping grills that were listed have different fuel sources, but when it comes to versatility and portability, the Blackstone Dash Portable Grill is the best camping stove. The Magicook grill might have the features that the Blackstone Dash has, but it is electric and cannot be brought too far from your house or trailer.
The Texsport Grill, on the other hand, can be brought inside the campgrounds and away from the house, but its fuel source creates a lot of smoke and has a high risk of triggering a wildfire.
The Blackstone Dash, being a combination of the two and runs on gas rather than electricity or coal, makes it the ideal camping grill as it adds to the overall camp cooking experience.